Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Loss of a pet...

As a life-long dog owner, I cannot imagine life without one. They bring and add so much joy to life. I mean who else is ALWAYS excited to see you when you walk in the door, even if you just leave for a few minutes to take out the trash :) Their love is unconditional and nothing can compare. They become a part of your family. So when you lose them, it can be both devastating and heart-wrenching.

A couple weeks ago, my family and I lost Sophie, our family dog of sixteen years. She had been sick for awhile, and when my parents took her to the vet, they said her kidneys were failing and she might have diabetes. After much discussion, they made a painful decision to put her to sleep. I can still remember when we got her as a puppy, and it's hard to imagine her not being there the next time I come home to visit. Since I live in Arizona and my family lives in Indiana, I feel sort of disconnected from it all because I am so far away--I wasn't involved in the family discussion on whether or not to put her to sleep; I wasn't there at the vet when it took place; and I wasn't present for her burial. Part of me wishes I could have been there with my family, since it was a painful time for us all.

When I told one of my friends about what happened with Sophie, she asked me something I had never really thought about--she asked if I thought Sophie would go to heaven or if I thought she would be born again as a new puppy. Thinking about this actually made me feel more calm and better able to accept the fact that she was actually gone. Has anyone ever considered this? What are your thoughts?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

\